At first, I laughed off the title because it sound dramatic and I think the title has been used in numerous other novels. I cannot say that I am glad to have read the book. It is a family story. And I hate Doris Day Dingman!!! Why does she have to leave!! Argh!!!
I apologize for my rudeness. The story just got me so worked up. Perhaps it is because someone can be so self-centered and dense they just do not care. Sigh. I just have to let that out.
Certainly, there is more to the story's relevance in my life than that. Certain emotions/feelings were evoked that I did not think were there. But they aren't enough for me to write all about it at this time. Awareness. This is perhaps the best word to describe how I felt after reading the book. Obviously, it's the awareness of my place in my family, and the awareness of the place my family makes in my life.
The book featured After Words(TM) at the end as bonus materials. Ann M. Martin and other authors talked about the day when President John F. Kennedy was assassinated. It is interesting on how the author connected that day's events to the lives of the people in story. The magnitude of the president's death really affected a lot of people, even to this day I guess.
spoilers beware
I love the Witch Tree Lane and the people living in the neighborhood. It is like an ideal extended family with your neighbors who will be there for you even though they aren't your real family. I think the author made the neighbors lovable and true enough so somehow it would be easy for Ellie, Albert and Marie to continue and go on with their lives even after Doris left. There will still be a family for them.
I really thought Doris will come back or that when she went to New York, she will bring her family to New York. Or that she simply will come back. Oh, I am just so worked up on Doris leaving.
Well, enough of that.
The Dingman children names were also very unique. In the sense that they are named after smart, accomplished and notable people. This somewhat resonates in our family because we all got really weird names.
Ellie is my favorite character. Mostly because she is so like me.
Bullies. I have noticed this recurring theme in some American children's books. It is sad and dangerous. If someone tries to bully me, I think I will be like Holly and Ellie who tried to act as if nothing was wrong and become so enraged when fully provoked.
Last thing, I really want Doris to come home. :-/