Dogs, spiders, swimming, ghost stories, thunderstorms, eerie sounds at night, what else? Sheila Tubman fears a lot of things. These things may be trivial to most of us, but to Sheila it was a matter of life and death.
I read Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great
today as a light reading. It indeed was! I breezed through it in a couple of hours. I would have finished it sooner if I wasn't laughing so hard at Sheila. Haha! This girl, her ridiculous reasoning when it comes to the things she fears and things she could not admit she can’t do, reminds me so much of my younger self. Fear of dogs, eerie sounds at night, covering ones ears at night… LOL that is so me. And her inner dialogue, speaking so matter of factly of the things or situations she is in, and her tirades with her sister and parents, all these speak so true to me.
Like Sheila The Great, we both are learning and adapting, little by little. I am older now, I am no longer that afraid of dogs, but I still cover my ears when I sleep because I am sure that a monster is coming to get me if I ears are shown ;-P
Well, that is Judy Blume to us. She writes these things eloquently as if I am reading my own story and my own thoughts. And Mouse, Jane & Sondra, Marty, summer classes, Newsdate, the play with Liddy being cast as Captain Hook instead of being Wendy (I had a laughing fit with this!), truly I wouldn’t forget this summer at Tarrytown.
Read August 29, 2012.